Link to a specific number in a list.

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the DotNet Help target, and the Dot Net Viewer
Peter Breeden
Propeller Head

Link to a specific number in a list.

Post by Peter Breeden »

Hi folks :

I am building numbered lists that explain how to use the software features in my application. However, there are times when I have a Step that requires the user to do one of two things. For example:

1. Type or scan the ID into the ID field. If the item already exists in the Item list, go to Step 3. Otherwise, go to Step 2.

What I want to do is link the Step number (in this case, Step 3) so that if the numbered list changes in the future, the link will automatically update to show the revised position in the list. Does MadCap allow this feature? If so, how do I do it?

If you are familiar with FrameMaker, you know about linking to Steps in a list and this is the feature I am looking for.

Many thanks!

Cheers,
Peter
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Link to a specific number in a list.

Post by LTinker68 »

You can't do it with a standard HTML list, which you insert in Flare by clicking on one of the list icons in the toolbar at the top of the screen.

What you need to do is create an auto-number sequence, probably using a custom <p> class for the auto-numbering. The format of the auto-number can be a sequential number like a normal HTML list, or it can be more complex. But once you start using the auto-numbered paragraphs, you can insert a bookmark at the beginning of the relevant paragraph (step), and then in the text that references that step, you insert a cross-reference to the bookmarked item. You can modify the format of the xref or create a class of xref (recommended) and then modify the xref to say what you want, such as "see Step {paranumonly}" or whatever the appropriate code insert is. I don't have Flare open at the moment but I think paranumonly will return just the number used in that specific auto-numbered paragraph and not the whole content of that auto-numbered paragraph.

I do the same type of thing to xref to figures and tables.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Peter Breeden
Propeller Head

Re: Link to a specific number in a list.

Post by Peter Breeden »

Thanks Lisa.

I will look into this. I was hoping for an easier solution as my Help system is huge and already uses Flare's built in numbered list quite extensively in every single topic. It would be a lot of work to change them...

Regarding your tag line... Nice! ;-) I don't know about eagles, but I do know about Peragrin Falcons. They are too smart and FAST to be sucked into a jet engine. That's why you often see them at airports. They clean up the slower birds that do interfere with the aircraft.

Many thanks!

Cheers,
Peter