Indenting list tag

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
jbean
Propeller Head

Indenting list tag

Post by jbean »

I have my p class indent .3 inch to create some separation from the Headings. Basically I like the look of a side head, but I don't want to use up the space that a true side head would need.

When I use the local formatting to create a numbered list or bullet list, the indent is not carried over. When I go to the li class in the style sheet I do not see anywhere that you can format the paragraph/indenting.

What am I missing ?

Thanks
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Indenting list tag

Post by KevinDAmery »

In HTML, it isn't called indent. Instead you want to adjust the margin-left or padding-left attribute (both will work for your purposes, although best practices would suggest using margin).
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
jbean
Propeller Head

Post by jbean »

when i go to the properties for the li style there is no place to edit the padding or margin .... there are only two tabs: Font and Advanced. How do I change the padding ?
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

You need to go into the stylesheet editor. You really shouldn't be using inline formatting: you should let the CSS handle the styles.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
jbean
Propeller Head

Post by jbean »

I am in the style editor and I can't find anyplace to change the margin or padding for the li style .....

Are you saying that to create a list I shouldn't use the list drop-down in the menu ? How else would I do it ?

Thanks
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Sorry, that was probably confusing (perils of posting in a hurry....)

Yes, you do use the list drop down menu to create lists. However, once you've done that don't use the toolbar controls for additional formatting other than the List Options menu. The toolbar controls result in inline formatting (which of course is not a good idea).

In the stylesheet editor, you're looking for the Box group of attributes. If you've just started in Flare, odds are your stylesheet editor is in Simplified mode (which looks like a table). This I find doesn't tell me enough about the styles, so I would change it to Advanced mode (which looks like a treeview with an expandable hierarchy). Open the style you want to edit on the left of the tree, then go to the Box group of attributes. You may also have to change the view from "Assorted relevant properties" to "Property Groups" in order to see all of the available attributes.

HTH.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
jbean
Propeller Head

Post by jbean »

that's it. thanks for the help.