Mini-TOC levels - level 0?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
stephgl
Propeller Head

Mini-TOC levels - level 0?

Post by stephgl »

Hi all,

I'm putting the mini-TOC proxy on the Welcome page of my Help file. It is not on its own level in the TOC, but there are several topics at the same level. I was hoping that using the Mini-TOC with Level set to O would give me a list of the topics at the same level, but instead it only gives me the short list of topics one level in from itself. It is working exactly the same as a Mini-TOC proxy set to Level 1 on the same page.

I don't want to put the Welcome page on its own level, because it takes up valuable left-hand real estate in the TOC pane.

Any ideas, brilliant ones?
-stephgl
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Mini-TOC levels - level 0?

Post by KevinDAmery »

You'll probably have to manually add links (that's what I do in my docs). The Mini-TOC is intended to automatically provide links to a topic's children, not it's peers, so what you're looking for is beyond the scope of the feature.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I use cross-references in that situation so that the text automatically updates if I change the topic's title/first heading.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
stephgl
Propeller Head

Post by stephgl »

Thanks! Yep, I'm using cross-references. I'm still curious as to the purpose of Level 0 though!
-stephgl
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

I believe the number refers to the number of steps below referenced topics the minitoc will look. So:

0 = it looks at the current topic's children, then stops.
1 = it looks at the current topic's children, plus the children of those topics.
2 = it looks at the current topic's children, plus the children and grand children of those topics.
etc.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

What do you mean by children? Do you mean headings? Or topics organized hirearchly as children? Because I think this has not only to do with the documents as they are organized in the TOC, but also with the heading levels in the documents.

When I use level 1, I just get my H1s that are children topics of the one where I've inserted the Mini-TOC. If I put 2, I just get the H1s and H2s that are in the children topics of the one where I've inserted the Mini-TOC.

So I think it is more than just the topics that are below. It's the heading levels within those topics as well.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

Could be: I thought it was only working off the TOC structure, but since I've flattened mine out as much as I could I may be misremembering how it worked.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare