Headings for Glossary won't appear in Word output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Headings for Glossary won't appear in Word output

Post by ccardimon »

I've tried everything I can think of. Anything I should take another look at?
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Headings for Glossary won't appear in Word output

Post by LTinker68 »

I don't think that feature is supported in Word. Even if you're creating the document directly in Word, the only way you can do it, I think, is to manually insert section breaks and change the headers for each page. That may have been too much of a programming hassle for MadCap to support, but you could always submit a feature request at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

I don't think it is, either. That is ONE thing RH does better than Flare. Boy it hurts to say that. I finally removed all the heading stuff from the Glossary for this project, since it's due Friday. I handing it off Friday morning.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

LTinker68 wrote:I don't think that feature is supported in Word. Even if you're creating the document directly in Word, the only way you can do it, I think, is to manually insert section breaks and change the headers for each page.
Headings for the glossary won't appear in Word output. Okay, fine, I can roll with that.

But then why do headings for the index appear just fine in Word output?
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Do they?

Are you referring to headings to break out the alphabet in the glossary or index? Such as "A" at the beginning of the glossary or index terms that being with A, "B" at the beginning of the B words, and so on? Or are you referring to headings appearing in the header portion of the page? I was referring to the latter.

Lisa
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

LTinker68 wrote:Do they?

Are you referring to headings to break out the alphabet in the glossary or index? Such as "A" at the beginning of the glossary or index terms that being with A, "B" at the beginning of the B words, and so on? Or are you referring to headings appearing in the header portion of the page? I was referring to the latter.
With the Index, I get the alpha headings just fine.

I also get the entry headings. My one-page Index says: "Index: Area Code - Zip Code" at the top, which gives me the first and last entries on that page. I can't get that with the Glossary.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Sorry, I don't generate Word output and didn't realize it was different. I'm not sure why it would work for the index and not the glossary. Either a different programmer worked on the glossary side and didn't add that option, or there's a bug with the feature, or you're implementing it incorrectly. You could contact Support and ask if it's either of the first two, and if they say no, maybe they can take a look at your project to determine if it's the third situation.

Lisa