MS Word Outputs not including non-textual layouts

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
SharpeMagpie
Jr. Propeller Head

MS Word Outputs not including non-textual layouts

Post by SharpeMagpie »

I'm unable to coax Flare 4.2 & Word 2007 to output page layout formats like backgrounds, decorations, borders, and images created using the Flare Page layout tools. They appear on screen OK. Once generated, MS Word will only render the text.

I've tried using Page Layouts and Master Pages to no avail. I've created an indentical target to generate PDF's and these behave as expected, outputting the backgrounds ect.

I was disappointed to learn that importing a MS Word document that has a page theme wasn't possible. Havng reproduced the corportae style in Flare, I expected it to be able to be outputted. I must be doing something wrong????
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Re: MS Word Outputs not including non-textual layouts

Post by forfear »

You did nothing wrong. As you discovered, Flare to Word workflow works to a certain degree.
SharpeMagpie wrote:I was disappointed to learn that importing a MS Word document that has a page theme wasn't possible. Havng reproduced the corportae style in Flare, I expected it to be able to be outputted. I must be doing something wrong????

But unfortunately to keep things compatible with the older versions, Word 2003, etc, I think they kept things to Word as simple as possible. The important parts like images, styles, TOCs, Indexes, numbered lists, inline images, Page Headers and Footers go straight to Word seamlessly. Other decorative elements, may not, I think.

If you want higher fidelity documents, use PDF. As you discovered, it gives Flare more control over the final type layout controls.

If you reallly want a Word document in the workflow, you could try a bit of post production to the Word document. Applying a Corporate Template to the document before saving and publishing. or just apply a standard page background in word. Its just 3 clicks. Then when you've gotten it down to a quick bunch of steps, you could just 'macro' it to one click if you wanted or just make it a default in Word.

Post an image up of what the desired output in Word you would like it to be. you never know, someone here might know.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
SharpeMagpie
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by SharpeMagpie »

Thanks forfear, at least I can stop beating myself up on this.

I assume that this has more to do with limitations with the MS Word API than Flare. I notice the build script checks for a Word version - mine is 2007. I've even tried forcing a docx output, but this still isn't playing.

However, I would have thought a workaround is to be able to specify an external doc template into which the content is generated.
kcann
Propeller Head

Post by kcann »

Does this problem apply to footers that have a three-column layout? It appears that Word only picks up the contents of the first column...

K
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

kcann wrote:Does this problem apply to footers that have a three-column layout? It appears that Word only picks up the contents of the first column...

K
I know people have reported that before, but I don't think I saw anyone getting it to work using columns. AFAIK it does work if you use a good ol' fashioned table in the footer, though. (Not the most elegant solution, but if it works, hey, why not?)
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
kcann
Propeller Head

Post by kcann »

I tried to use a table, but the table styles referenced the wrong style sheet, and I couldn't figure out how to associate the correct style sheet with the page layout! If you have any ideas, I'd be most grateful.

K