Search Results Options

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
elizabethc
Propeller Head

Search Results Options

Post by elizabethc »

Is there any way to have the list of search topics auto populate as the user is typing in their search? Or if not, is there any way to change the search button from saying "List Topics" to saying "Search"? I can't seem to find if or where I can edit either of these things in the skins.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Search Results Options

Post by LTinker68 »

The default option is to have the accordion button say "Search", but if it was changed, you can change it back in the skin (Styles > AccordionItem > Search then the Basic category).

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Also, there isn't a way to show the results as you type. Like LTinker said, the default skin uses the label 'Search' for both the accordion title and search button, so that must've been changed by someone at your end.
elizabethc
Propeller Head

Post by elizabethc »

Thank you for your suggestions. I am interested in changing the search button. I have tried to change the accordion to test it out if I was able to change it. I also tried changing the searchbutton under controls to says search. Neither of these changes seemed to change either the accordion or the actual button. Any other suggestions?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Do you have just one skin in your project? If you have more than one, are you changing the appropriate skin? Also, delete the output folder before building -- browsers (especially IE) tend to cache the skin settings. Deleting the output folder tricks the browser into thinking you're going to a new site, so it'll load everything instead of loading some items from the cache.

Lisa
elizabethc
Propeller Head

Post by elizabethc »

Lisa, we do have two skins but I have tried making changes to the correct one only and both. Neither seems to work. I have also tried deleting the output folder, but the changes are not visible...
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Which version of Flare are you running?

Lisa
elizabethc
Propeller Head

Post by elizabethc »

Version 3.1
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

When I got this computer a couple of months ago I only installed v4. I'll try reinstalling v3 later to see what the options are -- something may have changed that I just don't remember. Unless another current v3 user can recreate the issue (and hopefully a solution).

BTW, when you build the output, what is the name of the main help output file? Is it default.htm? Or ApplicationHelp.htm? Or something else?

Lisa
elizabethc
Propeller Head

Post by elizabethc »

The main output file is CWMHelp.htm. CWM is the name of our product.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

There were a few bugs in the ApplicationHelp factory template that weren't in the blank factory template. Do you remember if you started with the blank template or one of the other templates?

Can you rename the accordion in a test project? It will start with Search, but can you rename it to something else, build, then rename it back to Search and rebuild?

Lisa
elizabethc
Propeller Head

Post by elizabethc »

I am not sure if we started with a blank factory template or one of the others, but I would assume it was the blank factory template.

Also, we are not trying to rename the accordion, but the actual button that you click once you have typed in the topic you wish to search. Our accordion button says "Search" and this is fine. However, the button clicked to generate the topics searched, says "list topics". I would prefer for this also to say "Search". I tried to create a test project as you suggested and the test project also seemed to have this button default to say "List Topics". Is there anyway to change this? I have tried to change it under Control --> Search button in the skin, whatever I change here seems to make no difference? Is it possible to change what it says, and if so, where do I make these changes?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Oh, the Search button in the Search pane. Yeah, the Control > SearchButton, Basic, Label, is the property you want to change. I just did and it worked. Both changing it from (not set) to List Topics then back to (not set). That was on a test, clean project, though. You might want to make a copy of your skin file then delete the original and recreate it and see if that works. If it does, then you might have to bite the bullet and recreate the old skin using that new skin file.

Lisa
elizabethc
Propeller Head

Post by elizabethc »

It still doesn't seem to be working. I think we have decided that the change is not worth the frustration of creating a new skin, but thank you for all your suggestions and help.