Google Gadgets

This forum is for all Flare related Tips and Tricks.
Have a tip or trick you use while working in Flare? Share it here.
Ineffable
Sr. Propeller Head

Google Gadgets

Post by Ineffable »

Any way to insert Google Gadgets inside a WebHelp system?

I want to insert the Google Translation Gadget at the bottom of my pages, via a master page. However, I can't seem to get the syntax right. Since the .js is linked to Google via a <script src=> tag, for some reason it doesn't work.

I have tried using the text editor to insert the script manually and by using the Insert Script function. No go with either one.

Appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Google Gadgets

Post by LTinker68 »

It should have worked if you inserted it manually via the Internal Text Editor. Is it giving you an error or just not showing up? And FYI, you won't see it appear in the XML Editor and might not see it in the Preview, but it should appear in the output.

I'm not familiar with that option from Google -- did they give you a script line of code to insert in the head tag of a page and another line of code to insert in the body of the page? Or is it just one line of code that you're supposed to insert in the page at the point you want it to appear?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Ineffable
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Ineffable »

LTinker68 wrote:It should have worked if you inserted it manually via the Internal Text Editor. Is it giving you an error or just not showing up? And FYI, you won't see it appear in the XML Editor and might not see it in the Preview, but it should appear in the output.

I'm not familiar with that option from Google -- did they give you a script line of code to insert in the head tag of a page and another line of code to insert in the body of the page? Or is it just one line of code that you're supposed to insert in the page at the point you want it to appear?
Hi,

Google gives you a line of code to insert into your HTML, where you want it to appear:

Code: Select all

<script src="http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http://www.google.com/ig/modules/translatemypage.xml&up_source_language=en&w=160&h=60&title=&border=&output=js"></script>
I performed an output, but it didn't show up. I inserted it into the master page via the text editor.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

If you put that code into a topic (manually via the Internal Text Editor) instead of a masterpage, does it work in the output?

Does it not work in Internet Explorer and Firefox and any other browsers you try? And if you're using Firefox and have something like NoScript installed, did you accept access to the Google site?

Also, have you confirmed that the script is something you can normally run? Do you use it on another non-Flare website (e.g., your company's public website)? In other words, could your IT department be blocking that type of activity? An easy way to test is to create a .txt file on your desktop, copy that code into it, then save the file as a .htm file. Double-click on the file to run it -- do you see whatever it is you're supposed to see? If you don't, then it's not a problem with Flare.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by GregStenhouse »

Instead of & between segments in the code, you need &

Try this instead

Code: Select all

<script src="http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http://www.google.com/ig/modules/translatemypage.xml&up_source_language=en&w=160&h=60&title=&border=&output=js"></script>