Changes to style cause style to become "hidden at runtime"

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
JenniferR
Propeller Head

Changes to style cause style to become "hidden at runtime"

Post by JenniferR »

Hi all,
I am using a style called p.Example. I decided to remove the background color and make some other changes to the style. After making changes, I returned to the topic where the style's in use and the text with that style has become "hidden at runtime". The text also has a rather intimidating-looking eyeball icon next to it now.

I've no idea how to begin trying to figure out what's gone wrong. Can someone offer guidance?

Thanks in advance,
Jennifer

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." -- Mark Twain
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Changes to style cause style to become "hidden at runtime"

Post by LTinker68 »

Could you paste the style for p.Example in the forum? Open the stylesheet file in the Internal Text Editor, scroll down until you find the style, then copy-and-paste the code into here.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
JenniferR
Propeller Head

Post by JenniferR »

Lisa,
Here's the style:

p.Example
{
border-width: 1px;
padding-left: 6px;
margin-top: 0pt;
font-family: Georgia;
border-top-width: 0px;
border-bottom-color: #000000;
border-left-width: 1px;
border-right-width: 1px;
border: solid 1px;
border-left-color: #ddedfe;
border-right-color: #ddedfe;
border-top-color: #ddedfe;
font-size: 10pt;
}
Jennifer

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." -- Mark Twain
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I don't see anything there that seems to be a problem, other than the fact that some lines of style are redundant and can be removed.

Could you copy-and-paste the paragraph from the topic? Not the front-end text but the topic code? Open the topic in the Internal Text Editor and copy-and-paste everything from the opening <p class="Example"...> to the closing </p>. If the paragraph is inside another tag, like a DIV, include that code, too.

Lisa
JenniferR
Propeller Head

Post by JenniferR »

Lisa,
I fiddled around with it a bit more and found that I had changed a setting called "display", inside the Block properties, to "none". This appears to have been the cause of the issue. I'm really new to CSS, so I didn't realize what the display setting was.
I do think it's odd that that display setting didn't appear in the text that I sent to you...

Looks like I'm all set know because when I changed the display setting from "none" to "block" the scary eyeball goes away.

Thanks, once again, for your assistance.
Jennifer

LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

JenniferR wrote:I do think it's odd that that display setting didn't appear in the text that I sent to you...
Classes inherit properties from their parents, so if you had set the display to "none" on the base <p> tag, then it wouldn't have appeared as an attribute for the p.Example style, unless you had explicitly defined a value for that attribute for the p.Example style. On the other hand, if you had the base <p> tag set to display of "none", then you would have had a lot more text hidden in the topic, because almost all, if not all, of your paragraphs would have been hidden in the output.

Lisa
TWinMontreal
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by TWinMontreal »

Wow Jennifer R - not sure if you'll ever see this reply, but your post solved a confusing riddle for me 14 years after you logged about it - with Flare 2023 (Flare 19 I think)! I've been working in Flare for most of the those 14 years, and had never seen this before. I had an unwanted underline on a heading tag, "tried everything", including changing the Block display property from block to none, and had that weird stuff you described. :shock: It also prevented me from selecting other tags for that paragraph. I restored that block display attribute and bingo - all good. So thank you! And Lisa - you are great obviously, since you were answering so many of these - loose nut behind the keyboard - very memorable :-) Hope you're both well.

Gordon in 2023