table to pdf problem

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

table to pdf problem

Post by ChristyPatton »

I have several tables in my project. they work fine in all formats (including webhelp, word and pdf). Except for one table and it does't show up in PDF. Instead I get a couple of blank pages. The table is 35 rows long and would take a couple of pages.

I have checked all applied styles and have removed all references to avoiding breaks. All other tables work fine.

Ideas?
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: table to pdf problem

Post by LTinker68 »

Open the topic in the Internal Text Editor and see if there are any inline styles on the table tag that's overriding your stylesheet.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ChristyPatton »

The only style in my table tag is width:100%. So I experimented. I made the columns fixed width wondering if the PDF engine is freaking out on Auto Width. No.

Here's what I don't get...When I am in Print Layout mode, the table doesn't show up either. However, when I compile to Word, it shows up. It is only Print Layout mode and PDF compile when the table doesn't show up. It shows in WebHelp and Word.
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: table to pdf problem update

Post by ChristyPatton »

I broke the table where it should break across the pages and it shows up now. I am still a rookie at table styles and because of past experience I try to avoid them. I will have to carve out time if this type of documentation continues.

Thanx
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
dom.reed
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dom.reed »

I had a similar issue with long tables not appearing in PDF and it was caused by my print settings in the stylesheet for the table style. Might be worth checking whether you have the page-break-inside option set to avoid. This is option is located under the Print Support option.
ChristyPatton
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ChristyPatton »

That was one of the early on things to try. I must still have something, a column maybe, that is set to avoid.

I'll have to make it right but for now I have to move on, deadlines you know...

Thanx for the input!
Christy Patton
Technical Communications

MadPak
Flare 6.1
Capture 4.0
Rona Kwestel
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Rona Kwestel »

I'm having a similar problem with a long table preceded by a pair of nested heading levels when generating PDF output. Specifically, I have a Heading3, followed by a Heading4, followed by a long table:
Long Table.gif
Both Heading3 and Heading 4 have page-break-after set to avoid. As far as I can tell, no other styles (save for other Heading styles) have any page-break properties set. What I end up with is the Heading 3 on one page, then the Heading4 on the next page followed by the table, which then breaks onto the following page. I'm fine with the table breaking, as it won't fit on one page, but I don't want an entire blank page after the Heading3.

The only way that I could resolve this at all was to put an empty paragraph after the Heading4 and before the table. However, if the pagination were ever to work out such that the page would end on that empty paragraph, I'd have two headings at the bottom of the page, with the table starting on the subsequent page, which is not what I would want.

In Word (I never thought I would praise it, but it has its benefits), rather than describing whether a paragraph is eligible to have the page broken after it, you designate paragraphs to "keep with next". Essentially what I want is to keep Heading 3, Heading 4, and the first few rows of my table together. If that means a page break before is required, that's fine; otherwise, they can start on the current page, and the table can break after that. Is there a way for me to do this? I'd also want the same thing for the end of the table; in other words, I don't want just one or two rows of the table to end up on a new page. Is there a way to force those to stay together? I tried setting up widows and orphans for the table style, but they don't seem to apply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rona Kwestel
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Rona Kwestel »

Well, after much ado with no improvement - I tried all kinds of combinations of page-break-before, page-break-after, widows/orphans in the table settings (which don't seem to have any effect), etc. - I finally relented and added a boilerplate paragraph before each table simply stating what the table contains, even though it was self-evident from the Heading4 title, i.e. "The following table shows <what it says in heading4>."

Then I set the 'page-break-inside' property on the tr tag to 'avoid' to keep single rows containing more than one line of text from breaking across a page.

This came as close as I could hope to laying the tables out the way I want, but it took a long time to get to this point and was more painful than it should have been.