Create 2nd TOC or use condition tags?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Create 2nd TOC or use condition tags?

Post by ccardimon »

Should I create another PDF TOC to use as my Quick Start Guide TOC, or try to get condition tags to function from my full PDF TOC. I need a little work with condition tags, so they are not my forte yet.

If I need to create a new TOC, is there an easy way to drag the entries I need from one TOC to another. What am I missing?
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Create 2nd TOC or use condition tags?

Post by Nita Beck »

Either approach will work, but I would advise separate TOCs. It's just easier that way for you to see the forest for the trees.

There are two different ways to quickly make the second TOC:

-- Make a copy of the full guide's TOC and then edit it by deleting the items that don't apply to the Quick Start guide.

-- Make an entirely new TOC for the Quick Start guide and have it open in the TOC Editor in the middle pane of the Flare interface. (That's its default position.) Next, open the full guide's TOC and dock it either in the left pane or the right pane of the Flare interface. (To do this, right-click on its TOC Editor tab, select Floating, and then drag it to the left or right pane and drop it on the bull's eye.) This way, you'll be able to see both TOCs at the same time. Now, drag and drop items from the full guide's TOC to the Quick Start's TOC. If you drag a book, you'll get the book and all its child topics, a real time-saver.

Hope this helps.

Nita
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

Thank you, Nita.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

I agree with Nita. I'd like to mention, however, that there is a tradeoff. The drawback to a new TOC is that you will have to make changes twice if a change affects both TOCs. So if you add something to the old TOC that also needs to be added to the new, it's easy to forget and can be a pain. It depends on how much overlap you will have. Were it my quick start guide, I'd probably make a new TOC, since you are unlikely to duplicate much effort (quick start manuals tend not to change all that often -- the specifics inside the topics do, but the topics themselves don't).
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0