Auto end on left page and page numbering issue

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
navoff
Sr. Propeller Head

Auto end on left page and page numbering issue

Post by navoff »

So, here's my dilemma. For h1 topics, I generally want them to start on a right hand page. So, in my Chapter PageLayout, I have a layout defined for Right pages, Left pages, First pages and Empty pages. I'll start off my chapter in the TOC with assigning it to the Chapter PageLayout and selecting First Page. I also have a second page layout defined called Chapter-2 (it defines the header information differently, using the second level heading in the page header vs the first level heading used in the other Chapter PageLayout). The first h2 level topic has a style defined that includes a pagebreak before and in the TOC I've assigned it to the Chapter-2 layout and given it the Default page type (which ends up changing to Normal) and enable the auto end on left page. The subsequent topics are not assigned a chapter type until the next h1 topic.

The problem I have is that while the h2 topic does fall on the left hand page, the page numbers are for those of a right hand page (i.e. on the bottom right corner vs the bottom left corner).

If I turn on the auto end on left page for the h1 topic, I get a blank page between it and the next topic which I don't want. How can I set up the TOC/topics so that I can preserve the right/left page numbering while eliminating the blank pages when I want (sometimes I do want to have a blank page between one topic and the next).

Here's an example of the topics/levels I'm working with:

H1 (topic is only 1 page long and I don't want blank page between this topic and the next)
H2
H2
H3
H2 (I do want a blank page before the next topic)
H1(topic is only 1 page long and I don't want blank page between this topic and the next)
H2
H2
JRP
"How many slime-trailing, sleepless, slimy, slobbering things do you know that will run and hide from your Eveready?"
--Maureen Birnbaum, Barbarian Swordsperson
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Auto end on left page and page numbering issue

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Why do you assign the first h2 level topic to 'default' page type? This could be the problem with your footers. Default is 'normal' (no left-right pagination) - this might explain your page numbers bottom right on each subsequent page. You want to choose page type 'continue' (assuming you are using Flare8) which will keep the left-right thing going with whichever is next.

If you don't want to force unnecessary blank pages you want auto-end of left page 'disabled'.

Hope that helps with some of your difficulties.