How to wrap text?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
Jbouvier
Jr. Propeller Head

How to wrap text?

Post by Jbouvier »

Hello,

New MadCap user here. How do I turn on text wrap on a page?

All the other posts I have seen also involve an image. I have no images, only text.

Please help!

Thanks,

JB
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: How to wrap text?

Post by Nita Beck »

Hi JB. I'm sorry, I must be really tired, but I just don't understand what you're asking about. Are you saying that text doesn't wrap to a new line, but that it just bleeds off the page? And is that in output or while working in the XML Editor. And what kind of output are you generating?

In short, please be more specific about what you are trying to accomplish. The more information you give us, the more insight we'll have.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Jbouvier
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Jbouvier »

Hi Nita,

My text is not auto wrapping to the next line, like in MS Word. For example, the sentence I am writing on my topic is:

Welcome to the Mortgage Origination Software Online User Manual

However, when I click the 'Preview as primary target' button, it appears like this:

Welcome to the Mortgage Origination Soft-
ware Online User Manual

I want the text above (and throughout my document) to auto wrap to avoid any hyphenated words.

Thanks,

JB
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I see.

Actually, your text IS wrapping. What you want to do is to turn off (disable) hyphenation.

Specifically, in each of the styles for which you don't want anything to be hyphenated, you need to set the mc-hyphenation attribute to never.

You can read all about how to control hyphenation here: http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... nation.htm (I assume you are using Flare 11, BTW.)

I know there is A LOT of information in that topic, but look at the material in "How to set hyphenation using a style".

I hope I've pointed you in the direction that can solve your issue.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Jbouvier wrote:Hello,

New MadCap user here. How do I turn on text wrap on a page?

All the other posts I have seen also involve an image. I have no images, only text.

Please help!

Thanks,

JB
One of the things you need to understand about Flare is it is more like a web page creator than Microsoft Word (or other word processors).

When you enter text it will automatically fill the container. If you are just entering text it is more than likely you are entering it in the container called body. When you open your work (topic) in a web browser the text will fill the window. If you reduce the window size the text will automatically adjust to fill the new window size. This is as it should be, as an author you have no control over the window your user is going to use.

You can, of course, put your text in a table and explicitly set the table size if you want control over how your text is displayed.

The Flare editor is browser based (for want of a better explanation). This means your text will behave in the same fashion. If you change the width of the editor the words will continue to flow to meet the window. That's why the Flare editor cannot be a true WSYWIG editor, its closer to what you see is one possibility...

Once you send your Flare project to a printed target, such as a pdf or Word, the rule change slightly because you are forcing the output into a specific size window - the page.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.