x-refs in output display as [%=System.LinkedTitle%]

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
mrmansfan
Propeller Head

x-refs in output display as [%=System.LinkedTitle%]

Post by mrmansfan »

When using cross-references in Flare 12, I am seeing inconsistent behavior in my output.

Here is what the cross-references look like in the Flare 12 XML editor:
wysiwyg.png
And here is what they look like in the output (in Firefox, Chrome, and IE):
output.png
All of the cross-references use the same style and stylesheet and have the same topic properties. They were ALL built using the preference to "Always Use the First Topic Heading." Some of them build with the titles and some build with [%=System.LinkedTitle%]?? I looked at heading levels, conditional tags, length of heading levels, depth of folders...there were no differences between those that display the title in the output and those that don't. Any ideas?

Michelle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Annephil
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: x-refs in output display as [%=System.LinkedTitle%]

Post by Annephil »

We have a similar problem. We use the variable system.title in the headings of our topics. In some cases, however, the file name appears instead of the topic title. (Flare 12)
mrmansfan
Propeller Head

Post by mrmansfan »

Thanks Annephil. I am not using a system.title variable in my headings but am still seeing it (intermittently). SOME display the actual topic title, some don't. And it affects all of my x-ref types. I've changed a lot of lists of x-refs in my project to mini-TOCs to avoid this but I really need a fix.

Michelle
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

I believe this is actually a feature in Flare 2017 when dragging-and-dropping topics to the TOC. But when built using an earlier version, the [%=System.LinkedTitle%] is displayed instead. Is this content being worked on by multiple writers, and if so, is it possible someone is using Flare 2017?
Kellie
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I really don't like the way System.LinkedTitle gets shoved in all over the place, so if anyone knows of a way to turn it off, please speak up loudly!

When creating a TOC it does the same, so in my TOC I always change it back to the title that I want. (Sometimes I specifically don't want the TOC to use the first heading in the doc.) Would rather not have this extra step though.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
mrmansfan
Propeller Head

Post by mrmansfan »

Yes, my bad on version, this is for Flare 2017. I did fill out a bug report and send a zipped version of my project to Tech Support.
Michelle
mrmansfan
Propeller Head

Post by mrmansfan »

Solved! All headings must have a number other than 1 in the CSS mc-heading-level field. For some reason, when working with heading levels over 4, mine were defaulting to 0 in the mc-heading-level for those headings.
kkelleher
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by kkelleher »

Hey folks,

I just ran into this problem, so thanks very much, mrmansfan, for posting your solution of changing the mc-heading-level field. I don't think it will work for me, though, because we use mc-heading-level: 0 to prevent numbering of some headings (like the glossary).

So I'm wondering -- does anyone has another solution or a clever suggestion? Please let me know!

Thanks,

Kristen
Kristen Kelleher
Director of Tech Pubs, TIBCO Jaspersoft
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

kkelleher wrote:Hey folks,

I just ran into this problem, so thanks very much, mrmansfan, for posting your solution of changing the mc-heading-level field. I don't think it will work for me, though, because we use mc-heading-level: 0 to prevent numbering of some headings (like the glossary).

So I'm wondering -- does anyone has another solution or a clever suggestion? Please let me know!
Could you insert a bookmark on your heading and link to that, perhaps? Not ideal as it means an extra step, but that should work.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
kkelleher
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by kkelleher »

Could you insert a bookmark on your heading and link to that, perhaps?
While (as you point out) it's not ideal, this is a better work around than manually maintaining the title in two files. Thanks for the suggestion!

-K
Kristen Kelleher
Director of Tech Pubs, TIBCO Jaspersoft