VirtualPC Capturing Problem

This Forum is for General Issues about Mimic
hitek
Propeller Head

VirtualPC Capturing Problem

Post by hitek »

Good Day!

I'm using Mimic to capture an application process within a Virtual PC image. Mimic is running on the host system and the window I have chosen is the Virtual PC client. The problem is after only a few minutes of running it. I get an error that keeps popping up from the .Net framework. I attached the image.

Any ideas here? I'm needing to capture information that has to be in a VirtualPC since it is Beta code.

Best Wishes,
Keith Nicholson
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best Wishes,
Hitek
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: VirtualPC Capturing Problem

Post by RamonS »

One option would be to install Mimic in the VPC image as well. You can install Mimic as often as you want using the same license key as long as you have Mimic open in only one place. Maybe that gets you around the error.
hitek
Propeller Head

Post by hitek »

Good idea for now. I'll give it a try.

However, I still would like to see how to make it work the original way. I want to capture the menubar in the VPC client app for some demos.

Keith
Best Wishes,
Hitek
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

I'd make sure you have the latest .net drivers - you may even have to uninstall and reinstall to be sure.

As RamonS said, you can rum Mimic on the virtual machine. I do that (more with Capture) so I can catch windows within the virtual machine - if you run Mimic/ Capture on the main PC it doesn't catch windows in the virtual machine that well. You should also share your Flare project with the virtual PC (the shared project will appear as a network drive on the VPC) to make importing to the project easier.

What spec machine are you running and what resources are assigned to the virtual PC? Is there a pattern to the crash - after a few minutes every time?

You may need to open a support ticket or lodge a bug http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx if it proves elusive.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
hitek
Propeller Head

Post by hitek »

Interesting idea about the framework. I took, a look on my Vista box and I now only show the Net FX 3.5. I know 3.5 includes the files of the previous framework but I was surprised to see them removed. I'll do a specific install of the correct Framework.

UPDATE:
Of course I do not see any .NET FX prior to 3.5! Dohh! They are built into the OS directly. You cannot reinstall them . Oh well!
Best Wishes,
Hitek
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Ah Vista....well then...don't use Vista. Vista rapidly inhales. I need to test on Vista and half of the plain simple applications that are off the shelf just don't work right. I know, I know, I now get the argument that the customers ..... and that new PCs all have Vista ..... gee, everyone breaks their neck to support Vista, but almost nobody looks at supporting other OS that are by far less flawed than Vista. I just don't get that.
MikeKatz
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by MikeKatz »

hitek wrote:Good Day!

I'm using Mimic to capture an application process within a Virtual PC image. Mimic is running on the host system and the window I have chosen is the Virtual PC client. The problem is after only a few minutes of running it. I get an error that keeps popping up from the .Net framework. I attached the image.

Any ideas here? I'm needing to capture information that has to be in a VirtualPC since it is Beta code.

Best Wishes,
Keith Nicholson
Hi Keith

I had a similar problem, and maybe my solution applies to you as well. Instead of recording an application, try to record a window instead. Mimic then shows the list of open windows available to record.
With my application, Mimic had identifed the program separate from its open window, and so could not record. When I chose to record a window, There were TWO possible choices. One was the program name, and the other the actual window, identified by its window heading. Selecting the program name gives the error, but selecting the window worked perfectly.
Mike