CSH for WebHelp; are links to IDs not URLs supported?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

CSH for WebHelp; are links to IDs not URLs supported?

Post by Nita Beck »

Hi all,

This is a rather "newbie-ish" question, but here goes.

First, the setup: I have a client that wishes to create a new HTML Help system (not WebHelp) for a pre-release version of their app; we'll be using Flare. The programmers are accustomed to linking a .chm by map IDs. (Forgive my old "RoboHelp" jargon; I'm still transitioning, and so are they, from RH [they still refer to it is "BlueSky" Help!] to Flare). I think I understand well how to create the header file, aliases, etc., in Flare in order to support CSH-linking to IDs.

Now here's my real issue: For the released version of their app, they want WebHelp. So if they had linked the app previously to .chm using IDs, will they then need to re-code the linking for WebHelp so that the app is calling URLs? Or will they be able to use those original IDs still, perhaps with my having to do something more in Flare to support those original IDs?

I will be content with any of you experts pointing me to some specific topics in the Flare Help system. I've read "Overview - Connecting WebHelp to an Application," and I think it's saying that yes, we'll be able to use the original IDs. I just want to be absolutely sure before my client invests programmer hours/dollars into their initial linking.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: CSH for WebHelp; are links to IDs not URLs supported?

Post by RamonS »

You can use the same map IDs and attach them to the URL call. For more information see here:
http://www.madcapsoftware.com/support/w ... lopers.htm
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: CSH for WebHelp; are links to IDs not URLs supported?

Post by Nita Beck »

Thanks very much. I had neglected to say that I had read the topic you've pointed me to, but nonetheless it's reassuring that I am understanding things correctly.
Nita
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!