Getting an image into Flare from Word

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Getting an image into Flare from Word

Post by ccardimon »

What's the best way of importing an image from a Word document into a Flare project?

I need only the image and not the entire document.

I have tried copying and pasting, but no joy.

What should I try? What am I missing here?

-- Craig
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Getting an image into Flare from Word

Post by RamonS »

Copy and paste is the way to go, but with a detour through a graphics program. Even something like Paint probably does the trick. Copy the image in Word and paste it into the graphics program as a new image, then save it as png, gif, jpg or whatever else is accepted by Flare. Then use the usual path to insert a picture from file.
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Post by lacastle »

I found an easy way to get images from Word to Flare (just don't worry about the import part):

http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... lit=+large
lacastle wrote:Here's another tip for importing Word docs with blurry images: import like you normally would, then convert (save as) your Word doc to .html format. You will get an html file (which you don't really need) and a folder (with the same name as your document) that contains the original image (not sized, .png) and the word image (resized, .jpg). just replace the images in Flare with the .png images from the folder! it's a little work if you have lots of images to replace (I had 450), but so much easier than retaking the screenshots.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

RamonS wrote:Copy and paste is the way to go, but with a detour through a graphics program. Even something like Paint probably does the trick. Copy the image in Word and paste it into the graphics program as a new image, then save it as png, gif, jpg or whatever else is accepted by Flare. Then use the usual path to insert a picture from file.
Cool. This works. I used old reliable SnagIt 8. I'm going to try the other method suggested, too. Thanks.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

lacastle wrote:I found an easy way to get images from Word to Flare (just don't worry about the import part):

http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... lit=+large
lacastle wrote:Here's another tip for importing Word docs with blurry images: import like you normally would, then convert (save as) your Word doc to .html format. You will get an html file (which you don't really need) and a folder (with the same name as your document) that contains the original image (not sized, .png) and the word image (resized, .jpg). just replace the images in Flare with the .png images from the folder! it's a little work if you have lots of images to replace (I had 450), but so much easier than retaking the screenshots.
I just tried this, it seems to work, and I have only 49 images to work with. Cool. Thank you. Now I have two ways to go. Choices, choices.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
ChuckJulian
Propeller Head

Post by ChuckJulian »

I love Laura's method of saving the Word doc to HTML! I have one small tip. If your Word doc has many images and you only need a few, make a working copy of the Word doc and delete the content you don't need before saving as HTML. This makes it easier to find the graphics in the <docname>_files folder, because Word creates the filenames using sequence numbers (image001.png, image002.png, etc.). Fewer pieces of hay in the stack makes finding the needle a bit easier. :wink:

Chuck
Chuck Julian