Conditional text for topic popups?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
bbuchko
Propeller Head

Conditional text for topic popups?

Post by bbuchko »

I have several short topics that I'd like to include as topic popups. Unfortunately, they're also useful as separate topics should users want to navigate to them or search for them. As such, I have Related Links in them so if users find them, they can continue on to more information.

The problem is that, when I use them as popup topics, if users click one of the Related Links, the destination page appears in the popup. Is there any way i can set conditional text based on whether the topic is being viewed as a popup or not? That way, I could hide the Related Links section when it's viewed as a popup.

I'm guessing no, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks!
-Bob
Bob Buchko
Technical Communicator
Corporate Trainer
Flare Noob
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Conditional text for topic popups?

Post by LTinker68 »

I don't think so, although that would be a nice feature.

In the short term, you could put the content into a snippet file. Then create two topics -- one will be the "normal" topic and one will be the popup topic. In the "normal" topic, you insert the snippet and add the Related Topics feature and have the topic set to be searchable. In the popup topic, you insert just the snippet (no Related Topics) and set that topic to not be searchable. So if your users perform a search, they'll find the normal topic. But if they go to the topic that's calling a popup, then they'll see the popup but not the related topics option.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
bbuchko
Propeller Head

Re: Conditional text for topic popups?

Post by bbuchko »

Yup, that'll work for the moment. Thanks!
Bob Buchko
Technical Communicator
Corporate Trainer
Flare Noob