Using target properties as variables in page layouts

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
siskamoens
Propeller Head

Using target properties as variables in page layouts

Post by siskamoens »

Flare 4.2 with PDF patch.

Is there any way to use Target properties as variables in page layouts?
I have one project from which I generate one single online WebHelp, and 3 different print guides (pdf). I would like to use the comments line of the print output Targets as title for my pdf documents and include this in the default page's footer as well, so that I only need one default page layout for all three print outputs, each with their own title.
Variables are no option here, since they are project-wide, and I need a different title for every different output.

Has anyone been able to do this? Even if you know of another way to accomplish this, please let me know.

Thanks,
Siska
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Using target properties as variables in page layouts

Post by wclass »

siskamoens wrote:...
Variables are no option here, since they are project-wide, and I need a different title for every different output.
I think you could use variables in the page layout - the Variables tab on the target lets you override the variable for that target, leaving the system wide variables available for all other outputs (unless overridden in them as well).
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
siskamoens
Propeller Head

Re: Using target properties as variables in page layouts

Post by siskamoens »

Thanks a lot!
I tried this and it works as a charm.

Siska