Preserving TOC context when calling context sensitive help

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
tekwrtr71
Propeller Head

Preserving TOC context when calling context sensitive help

Post by tekwrtr71 »

Hi all,
I've got a help system with about 40 CSH topics, which are also pages in my TOC. (At most of my jobs in the past, we opted to exclude the CSH topics from the overall help system, but my new boss wants them accessible from TOC and from the application.)

I've worked with my developer to call up the CSH topics and they work fine. However, he is only calling the help topic itself, rather than the whole tri-pane with the TOC and the accordion tabs.

What I'm hoping is that there is a way to launch the whole tri-pane, showing the context-sensitive help topic and it's context within the TOC. I know I've seen it done in the past with a .CHM, but I've got no experience doing so with WebHelp. Frankly, I don't even know if it can be done.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Madcap Guru
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Preserving TOC context when calling context sensitive help

Post by Madcap Guru »

In Flare's help file checkout connecting Webhelp to an application it shows how to do a csh call that opens with a TOC pane
Rick Ferrell

Former Flare and Robohelp Support
tekwrtr71
Propeller Head

Post by tekwrtr71 »

Thanks, Rick. Okay, I've found that topic. However, I see nothing about a TOC pane specifically. Am I missing something?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

You're basically calling the default_CSH.htm page with the topic ID or filename (whichever method you choose) appended to the URL. You have to include the default_CSH.htm and default_Left.htm pages along with the default.htm page wherever you're going to host the help. Default_CSH.htm and Default_Left.htm are used for CSH calls. Default.htm is used if the user launches the help manually (or if you run it programmatically but without specifying a topic ID).

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Madcap Guru
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Madcap Guru »

IF you use a standard CSH call, then it will open with the TOC pane, :)
Rick Ferrell

Former Flare and Robohelp Support
tekwrtr71
Propeller Head

Post by tekwrtr71 »

Thanks to you both for the help. One last thing... I'm using a skin rather than default. Does that mean we'd call SkinName_CSH?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

No. The skin name would be appended to the CSH call. If you do a search in the Flare help on CSH it'll come up with some topics, one of which has several examples of how to make a CSH call. I believe there are a couple of examples with the skin name in the call. You'd still use default_CSH.htm to make the CSH call, but you'd pass the skin name as a parameter.

BTW, default_CSH.htm may be called something else if you A) specified a different name for the output file in the target or B) if you started the project using one of the Flare template projects that uses a different name than default for the output. For instance, one of them creates output files called ApplicationHelp.htm, ApplicationHelp_CSH.htm, and ApplicationHelp_Left.htm. So make sure you pick the correct file.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
tekwrtr71
Propeller Head

Post by tekwrtr71 »

Working like a charm. Thanks, Lisa and Rick.