Snippet Weirdness

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
mattman63
Propeller Head

Snippet Weirdness

Post by mattman63 »

OK...as a beginner, I have only two snippet files that are used all over the place. For some reason "0." (a bold zero with a period) now appears on the first line of both my snippets. I can neither select nor delete the zero, and it now appears on my PDF output. I did not enter the zero; it just started appearing today. When I tried to create a new snippet file, the zero appeared in it as well. It makes no difference what style I use, the bold zero appears on the first line, and I can neither select or delete it, and it prints.

Any ideas on how to get rid of it?
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: Snippet Weirdness

Post by lacastle »

What does your snippet file look like?
Is your snippet a list?
In your stylesheet, are any mc-auto-number properties set for the style that your snippet is?
mattman63
Propeller Head

Post by mattman63 »

Nope. It makes no difference what the style is. That's the first thing I thought of - that I accidentally somehow put numbering on that style - but nope, it makes no difference whether it's li, heading, body...the zero appears on the first line of them all.

I don't know if this will take, but I put one of my test snippets in the text editor so I could see the XML. I don't see any numbering or "zero" references in there, yet the zero appears. Here it is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd">
<body>
<p class="Body">Proper torque is essential for piston nuts. Ariel offers a hydraulic torque tool as an option. It tightens or removes piston nuts on JGH:E:K:T:C:D:Z:U piston rod assemblies. Since 1997, JGH:E:K:T:C:D piston rods include a threaded hole to allow use of a hydraulic piston-nut-torquing tool. A qualified machinist may rework JGH:E:K:T:C:D rods without a threaded hole.</p>
</body>
</html>
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

I'm assuming the "body" class defined for the paragraph doesn't have an auto-number format specified and its display attribute isn't set to list-item. The only other possibilities that come to mind are 1) you inserted the snippet as text in a line item or paragraph that has an auto-number format (i.e., its the line item or paragraph containing the snippet that is creating the 0), or 2) you have some type of complex selector that's converting the snippet text into a list item, probably after it's inserted after a specific heading or other tag.

If you create a brand new topic, delete the heading text and placeholder text and insert the snippet on a clean line (no other text on the line) and build the output, do you still see the 0 in the output? If you do, then you've narrowed the problem to the snippet. If you don't, then you've narrowed the problem to either the stylesheet (complex selector) or the files you inserted the snippet into.

When you check the stylesheet, make sure you check both the default and print mediums (or the default medium and whichever medium you specified for the print output).

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
mattman63
Propeller Head

Post by mattman63 »

Alrighty...will do.
mattman63
Propeller Head

Post by mattman63 »

Lisa,

Found it. I was trying different things with text that was body style, just to see what effect different settings had. However, one time I must've changed settings of the body style under Complex Selectors, thinking I was changing the p body style. I changed all the settings back to default, and the zero vamoosed.

Thank you, Lisa. Sheesh, I feel like less than a moron with this software.