Changing the default editor

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
sj099
Jr. Propeller Head

Changing the default editor

Post by sj099 »

Hello all,

How do I change the default editor in Flare? I would like to edit my html pages using a 3rd party tool.

Thanks.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Changing the default editor

Post by NorthEast »

Which 3rd party tool did you have in mind?
And are you talking about just editing HTML as text, or using something like a web design tool?

You can't change the default editor as such, but you can open and edit Flare files in other applications.
Flare topics are in (X)HTML, so most editors can handle them; for example, I frequently use Notepad++ for editing HTML (as text).
sj099
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by sj099 »

Hello Dave,

I would like to use Microsoft Expression. Previously, I used RoboHelp and I was able to set the default html editor to open whenever I opened a page (I used MS Word as the editor).

I realize I can still edit pages using any html editor - but I wanted to control that within Flare.

Thanks again.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Like Dave said, you can't change the XML Editor to use a different program, but you can right-click on a topic in the Content Explorer and select Open With > {alternate app}. I don't know as though that will get you much in the long run, as you'd lose any access to Flare-specific features (snippets, drop-down text, conditions, etc.), unless you hard-code the required code into the topic. Or re-open the topics later in Flare to add those features in.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

If you want to look at the code rather than the wysiwyg editor, from the Content window right-click on the topick and select Open with > Internal Text Editor, or one of the other apps whose name appears in the list.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx