HTML5: Can the Search Bar Location be Changed?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
nancygraz
Propeller Head

HTML5: Can the Search Bar Location be Changed?

Post by nancygraz »

Hi,

Is a way to easily change the location of the Search Bar? My client would like to move it down, out of the heading region...

Thanks!

Nancy
Thomas Tregner
Propeller Head

Re: HTML5: Can the Search Bar Location be Changed?

Post by Thomas Tregner »

I don't think it is something you can do from the Skin Editor so the answer is not easily. This is something I wanted to try. I moved it in an output's main help file and it worked. But you could also possibly adjust the common WebHelp2 skin file called Default.htm in your installation located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MadCap Software\MadCap Flare V8\Flare.app\Resources\WebHelp2\Desktop

But that would change the location for every HTML5 target you build on that machine.

Placing it in more than one spot didn't work. The part you are looking for starts with this tag: <div class="search-bar needs-pie">.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: HTML5: Can the Search Bar Location be Changed?

Post by LTinker68 »

nancygraz wrote:My client would like to move it down, out of the heading region...
Although the client is supposedly always right, this might be a good time to provide some advice. Tell the client that web usability recommends keeping it in the upper right corner of the web page because that's where users are used to seeing a search field. Users get annoyed when they have to hunt for common tools or might miss them altogether and then they think your site sucks because it doesn't provide a search field.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.