PrettyPrint-ed Code bleeding outside of box

This forum is for all Flare issues related to styles, stylesheets and XML.
tbschaus
Propeller Head

PrettyPrint-ed Code bleeding outside of box

Post by tbschaus »

Hello,

When publishing code samples in HTML5 output, I'm using a combination of "rdoverflow" and Google's "prettyprint".

All works well most of the time; however, sometimes the code samples bleed past the edge of the box: http://support.beanstream.com/#Topic%20 ... iables.htm

Thanks, in advance, for your help,

Brent
T. BRENT SCHAUS | Beanstream, A Digital River Company | Technical Writer
p: +1 (250) 984-8712 customer support: +1 888.472.0811 | bschaus@beanstream.com | digitalriver.com
Thomas Tregner
Propeller Head

Re: PrettyPrint-ed Code bleeding outside of box

Post by Thomas Tregner »

Can you give some more details about rdoverflow? Is it just defined in the CSS? I see div elements with that class value wrapping the code samples and I see that the stylesheet defines the overflow behavior for that case.

Code: Select all

div.rdoverflow
{
	overflow: auto;
}
The behavior is dependent on the browser with a value of auto for overflow. For example, viewing from Google Chrome, I'm seeing the text overflow beyond the box on a single line with scroll bars.

overflow reference on Mozilla Developer Network

Depending on what you want to achieve, you may be able to use CSS. A good starting point may be to review the word-wrap, white-space, and overflow CSS properties. The situation you are encountering in the link you provided is the request and response URLs are each long string of text with no indications of where to break the string to the next line.
tbschaus
Propeller Head

Re: PrettyPrint-ed Code bleeding outside of box

Post by tbschaus »

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your answer... it was a big help.

To tell the truth, since I'm using prettyprint, I'm not sure how relevant it is for me to keep using rdoverflow.

I've decided to leave it in the stylesheet, but I added a new class:

Code: Select all

pre.prettyprint
{
	overflow: scroll;
}
So far, so good :)

Brent
T. BRENT SCHAUS | Beanstream, A Digital River Company | Technical Writer
p: +1 (250) 984-8712 customer support: +1 888.472.0811 | bschaus@beanstream.com | digitalriver.com