Can I treat a hyperlink as plain text in a PDF output?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
mafra1
Jr. Propeller Head

Can I treat a hyperlink as plain text in a PDF output?

Post by mafra1 »

Hello,
I have a sentence (in a topic) containing a hyperlink.
In a PDF output I would like it to come out as pure text, not as a clickable link, just static text.
Is there a way to set this in flare?

see attached image.

BR magnus :)

NOTE; I do not want to style it like text, I want it to be treated/converted to text (similar to the Advanced settings tab in PDF target for Expanding effects and text popup effects)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
angelabartz
Propeller Head

Re: Can I treat a hyperlink as plain text in a PDF output?

Post by angelabartz »

I had a small project where I had to do the same thing. Here’s what I did (and it’s not pretty).

In the stylesheet, make the cross reference format for print look like normal text.
Add the cross reference twice.
Conditionalize one for print and the other for non-print.
Right-click and remove the cross reference from the print one.

There might be a more elegant way to do this, but I couldn’t figure it out. Thankfully, I didn’t have a lot of cross references.
-Angela
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

You can accomplish this by using a condition. Here's the basic procedure.

1. Create a condition tag that you'll use exclusively to handle the hyperlinks that you want to turn into plain text in PDF output. Call it something like "LinkToText".

2. For a hyperlink that you want to turn into plain text, select the entire hyperlink. A quick way to do this is to select the hyperlink block from the span bar at the top of the XML Editor (assuming that you have toggled the "Show Spans" on).

3. Now set the "LinkToText" condition on this hyperlink. In the Condition Tags window, notice the "Exclude Action" options at the bottom left. Select "Unbind". What that will do -- at build time -- is leave the text of the hyperlink but remove the underlying hyperlink code.

4. Repeat this process for all the hyperlinks you want to change to text in the PDF.

5. In your PDF target, be sure to EXCLUDE the "LinkToText" condition. Of course, in your help target, don't exclude that condition, else the hyperlinks will be unbound there, too.

That should do it. HTH.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
mafra1
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by mafra1 »

Thanks Angela and Nita :)
I tried the LinktoText condition solution and it worked like a charm.

thanks, magnus :)