XML Layout Different than PDF Layout

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
kgmarie
Propeller Head

XML Layout Different than PDF Layout

Post by kgmarie »

I'm having an issue where the layout of my pages in the XML editor is different than how it builds in the PDF. The issue is that there seems to be something wrong with the margins or maybe the font size, where more fits on a page in the PDF than fits on a page in the XML editor. Both the margins appear to be the same in each view, but it almost looks like the font size is smaller in the PDF, allowing more words to fit on a line. This issue is making it difficult to determine where page breaks, etc. should fall when I'm writing in the XML editor, as they'll never be the same in the PDF.

Bottom-line question: How do I get the XML editor page view to look the same as the generated PDF page view?

Facts to Know:
1) I have tried starting a brand new project and just using the default stylesheet and the default page layout and only the one default medium, and the issue is still occurring.
2) I don't think it's an issue with my resolution or zoom.
3) This issue also seems to happen when I output in HTML5 (the font seems smaller in the HTML5 output than it does in the XML editor).
4) I am currently running a trial version of Flare (purchase is pending installation right now), but I have searched and don't think this is a bug related to the trial version.

If there is anything I haven't thought of, I'd appreciate the help! Thanks.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: XML Layout Different than PDF Layout

Post by SteveS »

Hi kgmarie,

Welcome to the forums. :D

Perhaps I should start by saying (in the words of Mike Hamilton) what you see is just one possibility...

Remember Flare is a single sourcing solution. The text in the text editor is your basic content. When the project is built or published the content is converted depending on the type of output, conditions, and everything else.

Print output is published through a frame, placed on the page. The frame is controlled by the masterpage or page layout you are using. Similarly, you can use a different stylesheet for specific outputs.

The trial version is pretty much the same as the real version, except output is scrambled. I have heard of that causing some issues in the past (possibly something controlling output being scrambled and changing the build) but haven't heard that mentioned for a long time so I'm prepared to write that off as an issue.

One thing you can do is change the default project used in the XMLEditor. At the top left of the editor window there is a page/ magnifying glass icon. Clicking it will allow you to view as...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
kgmarie
Propeller Head

Re: XML Layout Different than PDF Layout

Post by kgmarie »

Thanks for the reply! By the time this post made it onto the forums, I had called Flare Support and found out the solution. It's the same problem described in the following thread, where Flare does not support the default 125% magnification in Windows:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27288&p=120705&hilit=125#p120705

I just was not coming up with the answer by searching here or online because I had no idea what the cause of the problem was.

Thanks again.