Can I create a cross reference to the next topic in the TOC?

This forum is for all Flare issues not related to any of the other categories.
zacharyabyrd
Jr. Propeller Head

Can I create a cross reference to the next topic in the TOC?

Post by zacharyabyrd »

I'm wanting to create two xrefs, one that links to my current topic's children topics in the TOC, and another that links to the next sequential topic in the TOC in the event that a given topic has no children. My end goal is to embed these xrefs in a pair of snippets that I can use at the end of any given topic to give direction to the user. However, I can't find a way to reference other topics based on the TOC relationship within the xref commands or within the available variable sets. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for you help everyone!
vabigupta1
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Can I create a cross reference to the next topic in the

Post by vabigupta1 »

Have you tried inserting MiniToc proxy?
Vaibhav Gupta
Madcap Advanced Developer
My recent posts on Madcap flare
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

Cross references do not do this. They link to specific topics.
Something that might work is to use the topic toolbar Next Topic and Previous Topic buttons.
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... olbars.htm
If you are using browse sequences in an HTML5 Tripane skin, they jump to the next or previous topic in the browse sequence. If you are not using browse sequences in Tripane, or if you are using certain other output types that support topic toolbars, you can use them to jump to the next or previous topic in the TOC.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

We have a separate topic toolbar at the bottom of our master page, just for this. The topic toolbar only has the previous and next buttons. We still have the normal topic tool bar at the top of our topics. So you get something like this:

If that is what you are looking for, let me know. I'd go into detail tonight about how to do it, but it's already after 8pm where I am, and I'm ready to eat some dinner. Sorry. But I might be able to help you in the next few days, again, if this is what you are looking for.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog