Select a word, delete - red square of death

This forum is for all Flare issues related to getting started and installing the application.
helen
Sr. Propeller Head

Select a word, delete - red square of death

Post by helen »

Morning/Afternoon

I'm having such a bad day with Flare, it's just not playing nicely and I don't know why. Periodically, I will decide I want to delete a word, so I flick through to it using CTRL and the Arrow keys. Then I hold down SHIFT, again with the Arrow keys and highlight my word. Next (and here's the amazing bit), I hit DELETE. So far, in the period of 2 hours, this has caused Flare to crash a whopping five times, I really am close to bashing it over the head and lobbing it out the window! There's no special formatting, no rhyme or reason, first we get this on the Messages pane:

CSS: Missing linked stylesheet file:///C:/Perforce/dev/trunk/main/doc/user-docs/XMLImportSpecification/Content/TableStyles/xml_table_style.css

Then, we get this back in the topic:
1.png
Then the real nice error accompanied by the red box of .Net death plastered across my topic:
2.png
JIT debug, crash and burn :cry:

All the topis have tables in and I'm presuming this is related as I'm only having grief in this particular project. I know Flare likes to change my CSS paths and remove the "Resources" for no apparent reason which naturally renders the path useless and I'm forever putting the "Resources" back into the path manually. Is this the same known "bug" that is biting me or am I doing something wrong that's causing this bizzare behaviour?

Edit - The css file IS there - or it would be if Flare would leave my paths alone. I don't think it's char length either as I'm not experiencing this is other projects with tables. However, I haven't been playing with them as much as I have this one.

Thanks. Slightly calmer now. :evil:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lacastle
Propellus Maximus

Re: Select a word, delete - red square of death

Post by lacastle »

I don't have a solution, but I have gotten these errors before and I think it just tried re-highlighting the word and it went away. I don't exactly remember why it got messed up, but if i just try again a few times it seems to fix itself.

I think this may be more of a problem when I'm trying to delete in tables? But it doesn't happen every time, so I'm not sure.

Sorry I couldn't help, I could just confirm that it's not just you.
helen
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by helen »

Thanks, it's good to know I'm not alone. I too find it sporadically in some projects and not others, in some topics and not others. Sometimes I can repeat it plenty of times - others sadly not.

I've closed Flare now to bring calmness and tranquility to my Thursday, I was starting to fear for my sanity. Tomorrow is another day and it's Friday too. :D
Marc
Propeller Head

Post by Marc »

You are certainly not alone. I have had all kinds of issues with tables in Flare. My favorite is when my tablestyle declarations inexplicably disappear (though this one is mostly under control).

One thing, though: When I encounter the "Red Square of Death," I am usually able to click Continue and continue working. So, to me, I guess it's more of a hiccup than a death.