same page number given for every occurrence of reused topic

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

same page number given for every occurrence of reused topic

Post by pdenchfield »

My outline TOC file (.fltoc) includes a topic more than once. When I build a PDF output, the page number for this reused topic is the same for every occurrence within the table of contents (generated by the TOC proxy).

Example (see red page number):

Contents

Installing ABC ... 1
Using ABC ... 3
>> Configuring with the XYZ Tool ... 223
Testing ABC ... 6
Using DEF ... 221
>> Configuring with the XYZ Tool ... 223

Has anyone seen this issue before?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: same page number given for every occurrence of reused topic

Post by LTinker68 »

No, but then I don't repeat topics in the TOC because it screws up the auto-sync and breadcrumbs in online output. So instead, I put the content of the topic into a snippet, then I create multiple new topics and insert the snippet into those topics. Each topic has its own heading line, although that could also come from the snippet file. Those topics are then inserted into the TOC, with none of them being used twice. That might solve your issue with the generated print TOC.

Although you should probably still submit a bug report at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx. I have a feeling that during the build process a temporary file is being created and is associating the page number of the topic the first time it's listed in the TOC and then pulling that same number from the temporary file instead of creating another association for the second instance, third instance, and so on.

That's assuming, of course, that you didn't specify a page number in the TOC entry for the first instance of the topic and then copied and pasted the TOC entry over and over. Assuming that you can copy-and-paste TOC entries -- I've never tried that.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Re: same page number given for every occurrence of reused topic

Post by pdenchfield »

Thanks, Lisa. I logged a bug with MadCap.