User's Company security stops my Webhelp from opening

This forum is for all Flare issues related to the HTML5, WebHelp, WebHelp Plus, and Adobe Air Targets
ThiNg
Propeller Head

User's Company security stops my Webhelp from opening

Post by ThiNg »

Hello All,

I tried searching to locate this answer but I seem to be missing something.

I have a user who's company bans websites from opening with an address bar in the browser? They tell me that my webhelp output won't open at all on their machines and that I need to disable the address bar. I thought I already had, but they cannot open the help. I don't even know what to ask them?

I have made some assumptions, but I think they might be wrong:

Here is what I "think":

I checked by Skin in the Webhelp Setup tab and there is a section called Browser Settings. NONE of the checkboxes in the Browser Settings section is selected, therefore, it shouldn't be using the default browser settings and none of the bars are selected so it shouldn't have an address bar?

It says that I have to launch the help through a URL or JavaScript, and currently we do launch the help by passing a URL from our application (when the user press F1).

I would appreciate any advise you can give me.

This is what the support ticket said:
Currently they do not permit a browser page to be displayed if the address bar is displayed as they do not allow their users to freely navigate to other sites. They would like to know if this can be disabled when the help is launched.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: User's Company security stops my Webhelp from opening

Post by LTinker68 »

Are they running the help from their local computers? If so, then you need to build the help with the MOTW (mark of the web) option enabled. That basically tricks the browser (that is, IE) into thinking it's going out to the Internet when it really isn't. Security on Microsoft computers by default doesn't allow web-based content to be run from the local computer unless you specifically disable that option, so the way around it is to enable the MOTW setting in Flare, then rebuild and distribute that to them.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
ThiNg
Propeller Head

Post by ThiNg »

Hi Lisa,

I have the MOTW turned on already. They help works on everyone else's machines, but these guys have a local security policy that prevents a browser opening with an address bar. The browser can still open, it just can't have an address bar. I don't know why they wouldn't use a proxy or firewall to limit domains!
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

You mean the URL field of the browser can't be shown? I think you said you're calling the file by CSH. If that's so, the programmer can probably pass the parameters to not include the browser menu and other areas of the screen.

There's not a way in Flare to have it hide or show certain areas of the browser application window.

Lisa
ThiNg
Propeller Head

Post by ThiNg »

Yes, we are calling the help through the CSH.

Where do I find the code to disable browser features?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Sorry, you'll have to Google that. I don't remember what the parameters or their values are, plus the formatting of the string would probably vary depending on which method (programming language) you're using to make the CSH call. I think that's something your programmer should look up anyway.

Lisa
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

If you're using the 'URL method' to open your help, then the browser settings in the skin do not apply - that is only for the 'Javascript method'. (There's a link to a help topic that describes the two methods on the skin's WebHelp Setup tab.)

To open a browser window without the location bar (or other features), you need to use some javascript.

For example, the following javascript will open the url in a new browser window without a location bar:

Code: Select all

window.open(url,'_blank','location=0');
You can also set other browser features such as switching off the toolbar or setting the window size. See http://www.w3schools.com/HTMLDOM/met_win_open.asp.

Note that IE7 and IE8 will override this setting and will always show the location by default (for security reasons), unless you switch off this feature in the IE settings.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

One other option would be to craft an application that includes the browser component, that way more control can be applied programmatically. And I thought we have weird IT policies....
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

ThiNg wrote:Hi Lisa,

I have the MOTW turned on already. They help works on everyone else's machines, but these guys have a local security policy that prevents a browser opening with an address bar. The browser can still open, it just can't have an address bar. I don't know why they wouldn't use a proxy or firewall to limit domains!
I read this, and I just had to laugh...apparently, they are unaware that Start > Run > type iexplore.exe <url_of_site_you_want> > click OK will open whatever page they want, regardless of the address bar.

The reason they are not using a sensible method to limit Internet access seems to be that they have no idea what they are doing (not that I'm an IT expert...but I guess that's the point?).
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Blimey. There are a million ways round that, e.g. in IE you could get to any site via the menu bar (File > Open) or via Favorites, and you could click on links in emails or any other app that supports hyperlinks.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Why restrict internet access anyway except for some smart content filtering to keep the criminal stuff out? Folks will find out how to get to the sites eventually and so what? As long as the work gets done why not make the work experience to be more positive? Bandwidth isn't that expensive and if companies would hire the right people then chances of them running torrent networks from work are slim to none. HR apparently thinks that talking about baseball at the water cooler is more productive then engaging in technical discussions online, learning new things, sharing knowledge, and sharpening the own skills. You gotta love those Catberts in their cozy offices.... :roll:
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Post by trent the thief »

RamonS wrote:Why restrict internet access anyway except for some smart content filtering to keep the criminal stuff out? Folks will find out how to get to the sites eventually and so what? As long as the work gets done why not make the work experience to be more positive? Bandwidth isn't that expensive and if companies would hire the right people then chances of them running torrent networks from work are slim to none. HR apparently thinks that talking about baseball at the water cooler is more productive then engaging in technical discussions online, learning new things, sharing knowledge, and sharpening the own skills. You gotta love those Catberts in their cozy offices.... :roll:

You sound so bitter. I was wondering where your torrent seeds went to. People have been asking :lol:
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare:
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

No torrents, just the MadCap forum. But looking up baseball stats and placing bets for March Madness(TM) is OK. Apparently, honing one's skills, broadening the horizon, and helping a poor soul out once in a while is just not appreciated. I was told that I can do that at home or during my lunch break. Well, since then I stopped collecting the background info on Microsoft patches and other changes to the technology we use, something I spent several hours on weekends for. Sad thing is, I am sure nobody will miss it. Bitter? Me? Damn right! And no, I don't start liking baseball just to get even. My boss is a Yankees fan, maybe that had something to do with it.
The IT guy did once ask me if I run P2P apps, since he saw excessive network traffic coming out of my box. But that was only me copying VMs across the network, because I cannot store them all locally on my pathetically small 80GB drive. Since then my box is on the server switch and what used to take hours is now copying in 20 minutes, thanks to Gigabit ethernet.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

I'm always amazed at the crap I see on others monitors. I also keep track of tech since it's the best way to stay employable. But I'm luckier there, the IT guy here understands what computer tech writers do for a living. I know that that isn't the case in many places.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

In my case, I'm tech savvy enough that I can solve the majority of the problems that crop up (and help others sometimes, too). The only time I have to involve IT is when it involves permissions that they have to change. So I get brownie points for not being a PITA to the IT guys, which they appreciate, so when I do have something I need their help with, they're more willing to help and without asking questions. Of course, being somewhat tech savvy, they can't just throw "because" at me -- they have to have a legitimate explanation. Saying that the browsers can't open with the address bar doesn't sound like a legitimate explanation to me -- if they're actually trying to hide an address, you can get it easily enough by right-clicking on the content and selecting View Page Info (as opposed to View Page Source) -- depending on the browser, that gives you not only the current URL, but also the referring URL and other info.

Lisa
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Yeah, knowing what's going on and being able to do some things on your own goes a long way towards getting decent service and answers.

I've been fortunate in that I've always been able to maintain an external proxy and web site to test from. It's been a great help over the years.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.